I have a profile on Facebook. That's not new; I've had it for over a year now. In that year, a lot of things on Facebook have changed. The way it looks, the features and so forth. A few months ago they added these things called "applications." Things like photos, notes, "gifts" and groups fall under the category of applications. I had all of these things before they became applications so I simply left them, and refused to get any more. I thought (and still think, for the most part) that they are silly and unnecessary.
I use Facebook for its intended purpose: keeping in touch with friends. Every person that I am "friends" with on Facebook, I have had some interaction with in real life. It is a handy tool, but one I struggle with. I don't really like the idea behind it. I am trying to live in this century, in this internet information age while still maintaining a sense of who I am.
There are two points to this. The first is that I finally gave in and added a Facebook application known as Greenbook. Essentially, the company that started this makes a donation of a certain amount to offset carbon emissions based on the number of users that have the application. The idea is that computers release a certain amount of CO2 into the atmosphere when in use and by adding the Greenbook application you offset those emissions.
I added this because I believe very strongly in protecting the environment, but at the same time I struggle with the idea of the application because it is so passive. You don't do anything. There is no change in lifestyle involved in adding this application. You can still drive a big SUV, still turn your heat up higher instead of putting on warmer clothes, and so forth, but you have a clear conscience because you've added Greenbook to your Facebook profile.
This idea bothers me, but at the same time I am aware that in order for social change to happen, it must be easier for people to change than to stay the same, and this is definitely easier. On top of that, the application profile includes a number of simple ways to change the way you live in order to help the environment further. These last two points were how I convinced myself to add this application.
I should mention that I am not the posterchild for environmentalism. There are a number of things that I do that I shouldn't, but I am trying to fix them. This past summer I started riding my bicycle more, something that I hope to continue when the weather permits. I've also begun recycling much more, and I've stopped using disposable bottles. My sister just gave me a really nice, new nalgine water bottle for Christmas. As well as a pair of slippers so I can leave the heat down farther. When I use the bag lunch line at my school, I bring my own canvas bag and I have more bags to give to people who like mine.
Like I said, I'm not the posterchild for environmentalism, but it is an issue I care about, and I believe I came by it honestly. Growing up, my dad worked at the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (mPCA). We celebrated Earth Day. When I was in grade school, I started a recycling program at the after school care I went to.
I'm not a big activist; I don't go out to protests or anything, but I do contact my state representatives about changing governmental policy to be more eco-friendly, and I encourage others to do the same. I try to live my life simply, and I'm always trying to find new ways to do so.
I've just been musing on all of this lately. Ever since I got that Facebook application.
Thursday, December 27, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
this isn't actually related, but your post reminded me of it.
have you heard of freerice.com?
it's a website that gives vocabulary quizzes. for every word, you get four possible meanings. if you pick the correct one, the website donates 20 grains of rice to third world countries.
i think your point about things seeming to passive is what made me think of this. the fact that this site improves both first world literacy/vocabulary as well as third world hunger makes it, in my opinion, one of the best sites out there.
Post a Comment